PAN N178 – [View of the C.N.R. Station under construction and the completed G.N.R. (Union) Station] March 23, 1918. WJ Moore photo. (For greater detail, click on the image). The image above shows Union Station (serving trains of the Great Northern and the Northern Pacific Railways) to the left and the Canadian Northern (later Canadian National) Station in the center. The land on which these depots was built had been in-filled just a couple of years before the photo was made. Before WWI, False Creek extended well past Main Street (shown on the right of the image above; roughly where Science World is today), as far east as Clark Drive. Beginning in 1914, however, the tidal estuary was filled with land taken from the Grandview Cut.
Because the stations were built on in-filled soil, the CN Station (and possibly the Union Station, although this is not confirmed) was built on pre-cast concrete…
View original post 81 more words